the kitchen is the only room in my apartment with opened window, and i always kept the door close. once opened, wooosh - you can really feel the surge of heat enveloping.
in this scorching heat, you must be aware of the ever-present and very real danger - the heat stroke.
“the classic definition of heatstroke includes the presence of inner body (core) temperature higher than 40°C, central nervous system dysfunction, and (the) absence of sweating. anyone with high temperature above 40°C and experiencing confusion, lethargy or even falling into a coma should be considered to have suffered heatstroke.”
~ dr. abdul majid wani, a consultant in the emergency department at hera general hospital, makkah.
- exposed to hot weather for too long without drinking water
- the body dehydrate so no more liquid for sweating
- body's temperature rises rapidly, the body goes into shock
symptoms of heat stroke include
- a rise in core temperature
- lack of sweating
- flushed skin color and dry skin
- rapid pulse
- breathing difficulties
- abnormal behavior
- sometimes even coma
if not properly, quickly treated, can be fatal!
what to do in case of emergency :
- removal of clothing
- spraying the victim with water
- apply cold, wet towel to the skin, especially near armpit
- provide sufficient air to him or her
- get medical help
prevent heat stroke!
- reduce exercise or excess activity in hot weather - save the bbq at the park for winter okay!
- wear loose-fitting and light-colored thin clothes - my kiddos memang tak pakai lansung long sleeve!
- drinking lots of water - make sure there's a water bottle for each kid, one in your bag or a big one in your stroller
- those working outside and under a hot sun should understand that as soon as they stop perspiring while working, they are in danger of heat stroke
- drink water freely to provide moisture for perspiration, even when you do not feel thirsty! (kalau dah dahaga tu tandanya dah dehydrate sket kan?)
- infants, young children and people above the age of 65 are very sensitive to the effects of high temperatures
- do not leave children alone in cars, even for a moment - even with the windows open!
in a nutshell, just drink lotsa water, and don't be out in the sun too long. be safe out there, people!