Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Water For Elephants, The Beaver & Rise of Planet Apes

got popcorn?

i have three new movies to review - not exactly new, but i've finally been able to watch these movies recently. all three movies have an animal as the central character, also as part of the movie title - 'water for elephants' is a love story set at a circus; 'the beaver' is a drama about coping with a nervous breakdown in a weird way; and finally, 'the rise of the planet of the apes', a science fiction tale of how one ape will change the fate of its kind.


* * *




a simple love story in 'water for elephants' starts with an old man reminiscing his memorable moments working at the circus during his younger days. a veterinary science graduate from cornell, he is accepted to the circus for his knowledge. and so begins a life of circus wonders, animal connections - the elephant, and falling dangerously in love with the boss' wife.


the circus boss is played by academy award winner christopher waltz, for his deliciously evil role as the nazi officer in 'inglorious basterds' - so you can imagine how similarly he played the character of the hot-headed circus boss. evil at its cinematic best!


watching this movie convinced me that the super cute robert pattinson CAN act! so this means that the twilight saga really had bad script, bad direction, and bad co-stars. because in 'water for elephants', robert pattinson shows he has what it takes to do challenging roles other than looking pale and glowing occasionally. bleh.


he's so handsome here (normal-looking handsome and not super pale kinda handsome haha), and his character is innocently curious and eager to live his life. if you crazy-love him in twilight, i guarantee you love him even more in 'water for elephants'.



* * *





imagine your husband speaks to you - only through a hand puppet...


'the beaver' is a drama about a depressed man on his nervous breakdown - his company in jeapordy, his son hates him, and his marriage falling apart. then he found a hand puppet - a stuffed beaver. he puts it over his hand, and he began speaking to everyone ONLY through the beaver, even to his employees. confidence swept through him. he's suddenly a new man, because the beaver speaks his mind, the beaver doesn't have his problems.


soon the beaver seemed the be the one running the show. can he throw away the puppet, and be the man, the husband and father that he wanted to be?


mel gibson as always, great acting, great display of emotions as the depressed walter. the story is original, and can be somewhat slow-paced, but still quite interesting. towards the end i really want to find out whether he can survive without the beaver...


* * *



if you love the cinema, i'm sure you know what this movie is about. if you haven't seen the original 'planet of the apes', you should before you watch this modern one! it's a classic ~ "take your hands off me, you damn dirty apes!"

james franco is adorable as always, and john lithgow is believable as the alzheimer-stricken father - it's just that the star of the movie is truly the ape named caesar. i've got to applaud the people who did the CGI thingy on the ape - because his expressions, his movement and especially his eyes - really capture the feel of moment. he dominates every scene he's in!

though i LOVE the 1968 original version of 'planet of the apes', this current one is enjoyable to watch too. it has its heart-stopping moments, and if you're anything like me, the hair on the back of your neck would stand as you watch the last few scenes. woah.



* * *


ok, next movie please!


4 comments:

Hidayah Ismawi said...

haven't seen any of them but they sound interesting .. even though everyone says "apes" was great ..dunno why for some reason am not keen to watch apes take over the planet though..hehe

sal-nurbeena said...

Kalau anak akak tengok poster yg ke 3 tu konpem dia syibuk nk tengok..:D

Syigim said...

>> hidayah, watch the beaver at least. that's an original! apes can wait.. ;)

>> nurbeena, kak your kids suka monkeys ke hihi ;) best citer dia.. sgt real! :)

Anonymous said...

BE CAREFUL HERE NOBODY CAN HELP YOU HERE OR EVEN SUGGEST HOW YOU CAN GET YOUR EX OR LOVE BACK,ANY TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM AND I GOT RIPPED OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH MY 7 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,I HAVE APPLIED TO 7 DIFFERENT SPELL CASTER HERE AND ALL TO NO AVAIL THEY ALL ASK FOR SAME THING SEND YOUR NAME YOUR EX NAME ADDRESS AND PICTURE PHONE NUMBER ETC WHICH I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND MOST OF THEM WERE FROM WEST AFRICA UNTIL ISAW A POST ABOUT drokojiehealinghome AND I DECIDED TO GAVE HER MY LAST TRAIL.SHE ASK ME FOUR THINGS MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND $180 AND SAID MY EX WILL COME BACK IN 24HOURS, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST SO FAR SO I SAID LET ME GIVE HER A TRY SO I CALLED HER AGAIN AND SEND MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND THE $180 BECAUSE I SWEAR IT WAS MY LAST TRY SO I WAS WAITING AS SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL NEXT DAY AND I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE MY WIFE AND WANT HER BACK AT 9PM THAT DAY I SAW MY WIFE ON LINE ON FACE BOOK AND SHE SAID HI AT FIRST I WAS SHOCK BECAUSE SHE NEVER TALK WITH ME FOR THE PAST A YEAR AND 9 MONTH NOW I DID NOT REPLY AGAIN SHE SAID ARE YOU THERE? I QUICKLY REPLY YES AND SHE SAID CAN WE SEE TOMORROW I SAID YES AND SHE WENT OFF-LINE I WAS CONFUSED I TRY TO CHAT HER AGAIN BUT SHE WAS NO MORE ON LINE I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT AS I WAS WONDERING WHAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY, BY 7.AM THE NEXT MORNING SHE GAVE ME A MISS CALL I DECIDED NOT TO CALL BACK AS I WAS STILL ON SHOCK AGAIN SHE CALL AND I PICK SHE SAID CAN WE SEE AFTER WORK TODAY I SAID YES SO SHE END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY I GOT OFF WORK SHE CALL ME AND WE MEET AND NOW WE ARE BACK AGAIN I CALL MAMA ANITA THE NEXT DAY THANKING HER FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE IN FACT I STILL CALL HER AND THANK HER AS MY LIFE WAS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT MY WIFE PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE I HAVE BEEN SCAM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF YOU WANT A TRUE LOVE SPELL THEN CONTACT (drokojiehealinghome@gmail.com)



check out these postings too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails