lunch like a prince,
dine like a pauper."
so what's for breakfast in the kay home?
sometimes toasted bread, if there's leftover rice from the night before - nasi goreng, cucur udang when there's prawn in the fridge, fried meehoon when i'm feeling rajin, and most of the time (because it's the easiest to prepare!) CEREAL!
khaleef loves his cereals. from the choclatey 'cocoa puffs' to the boring sugar cornflakes. any cereal. his favorite is the 'froot loops'. he eats 'em with milk, and he calls it 'soup'. weird.
and it's becoming kahfi's favorite too. i could dump a fistfull of 'froot loops' in one of those little colorful ikea bowls, and kahfi would sit quietly stuffing his mouth with those green-orange-pink loopy cereal, long enough for me to realize how silent the house is!
what's their mak's favorite?
i love cornflakes. i love 'honey stars'. however my current craze is 'honey waffles'. yes, i DO judge cereals by its cover so yes, the oh-so-adorable cookie-monster-lookalike captured my attention first, made me wanna try this cereal.
and it's so nice! some cereal with the word 'honey' in it can be too sweet, but 'honey waffles' are just nice for my tastebud. crispy, crunchy, sweet and super-delicious!
how about bapaknye?
nestle's 'fitness honey & almond' is his favorite! i love this one too but it's just funny and silly to eat something that has a yellow cereal-monster on the box, instead of a spoon! hihi.
so our home now has 3 different cereal boxes at any given time. perhaps when kahfi is older and gets more opiniated, he'd have his own personal cereal!
oh, and the back of the box? i actually take that into consideration when trying out new cereals! khaleef's 'froot loop' has 'look for hidden pictures' at the back and he loves trying to locate the froot loops everytime he eats. mine has games, facts and jokes about honey which are really fun to read, while mr. khairul's cereal lists out the nutritional values and such.
hey, it's really important okay to have something fun to do or read while you're having your favorite cereal! hihi.
* * *
did you know that last 7th march was US's national cereal day? heck, they've got a national day for all sorts of things kan? imagine if malaysia has 'national nasi lemak' day - cool!
oh well, enjoy this bit on some cereal fun facts!
- cereal was invented when colonial housewives started serving up popcorn with sugar and cream for breakfast!
- the word cereal comes from 'cerealia', the name of ancient roman ceremonies that honored 'ceres', the goddess of grain.
- there are 2.7 billion packages of cereal sold every year – that’s enough boxes to wrap around the earth thirteen times - woah!
- john harvey kellogg invented corn flakes in 1906 (gile lama dah!) by accident while cooking some wheat for a type of granola. the wheat had gone stale so harvey and his brother forced the wheat through rollers. a thin flake emerged and they kept experimenting and developing the flaking process.
- astronauts from apollo 11 boosted their brain power while in space with a cereal breakfast. the cereal was mixed with fruit and pressed into cubes since the lack of gravity kept the astronauts from pouring it into a bowl with milk.
- breakfast cereal is the third most popular item sold in grocery stores after carbonated beverages and milk.
* * *
thanks to our dubai friend kak linda, we have another hot drinks added to our breakfast beverage - horlicks! lama gile tak minum horlicks! though i'm not a hot-drink person, having horlicks after soooo long is kinda nice. thanks kak linda!
one morning i added milo WITH horlicks. saje ngade. sedap pulak! try it!