when you’re staying overseas, ANY traditional kuih is delicious!
i had the pleasure of making (and eating!) kuih ketayap and kuih onde-onde gula melaka these past weeks. it was such a liberating experience when you know you can actually home-make these kuih that you’ve been buying for RM1 per 3 pieces (is it still this price?) at the roadside stalls.
kuih is simply a traditional asian dessert usually eaten in the morning or for tea-time. most are sweet, but some kuih can be savoury like karipap (curry puff), pulut panggang and kuih bakar lauk.
why did i make kuih ketayap AND onde-onde gula melaka?
- both kuih use gula melaka, and i had just gotten a few blocks from my dubai friend lin yang dah balik malaysia pun. thanks lin!
- both use kelapa parut (grated coconut) – since i just bought a big plastic of freshly grated coconut, why not make more than one type of kuih.
- both use green colouring, and that’s the one coloring that i have right now. use it!
my humble kuih ketayap
RESEPI MUDAH KUIH KETAYAP
- tepung gandum 2 cawan (2 cups of wheat flour)
- santan/fresh milk (1 cup of coconut milk/fresh milk)
- kelapa parut (grated coconut)
- gula melaka (can use brown sugar)
- garam (salt)
- green colouring
- (some recipes add 1 egg too)
- make the inti – cut gula melaka into small pieces and put in a hot pan with a little bit of water. wait til it melts
- then add kelapa parut and mix with melted gula melaka,
- add a little bit of salt, then put aside
- mix tepung gandum, santan, salt and green coloring to make the ‘pancake’
- add a little drop of oil so that it will not stick to the pan
- make sure it’s slightly cair so that inti lembut
- heat up pan, can use butter or not (since dah ade oil in adunan)
- use senduk to pour the batter into the hot pan, ratakan so that it’s flat
- angkat and now you can gulung-gulung!
* * *
my eldest khaleef with onde-onde
RESEPI MUDAH ONDE-ONDE GULA MELAKA
- tepung pulut 300g (glutinous flour)
- tepung gandum sikit (1/2 cup wheat flour)
- air (water)
- gula melaka
- grated coconut
- break the gula melaka into small pieces, put aside
- add tepung pulut, tepung gandum, green coloring and water until it can be formed into small balls
- press the middle of the ball and add the small pieces of gula melaka
- boil water, and then add the small balls one by one
- when it floats, that means it’s done, and you can pick up the onde-onde
- tunggu sejuk
- meanwhile, mix the kelapa parut with a bit of salt and you can golek-golek the onde-onde until it’s covered with coconut
* * *
i bought the freshly grated kelapa parut from lulu hypermarket. you can get grated coconut in geant too but it’s already grated and packed. at lulu, there’s a small counter with a window where we can ‘order’ grated coconut and the staff inside would grate it there and then – fresh!
we need tepung pulut (glutinous rice flour) to make kuih onde-onde gula melaka, and at first i thought we couldn’t get it in dubai. suddenly i found one in my rounds at lulu! yay!
ok what else can i make using tepung pulut?