a lot of people are questioning dubai government on the safety standards of these high-rise buildings. even if they want to blame the mother for leaving her son unattended in the house, this incident could've easily happened even when she's busy in the kitchen, or in the bathroom. the question remains : how safe are the windows? how can the window be easily opened by a 5-year old?
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS :
- build a net around the building to catch any falling object
- build window that DOES NOT open wide, but just enough to put a head in
- locking system of windows and doors should be top-notch
- make the windows heavy, or tight - that no children would have the strength to open
- build small balconies under a window, like a flower box
- have grills on windows and balcony
- build iron bars below the windown for support, or stronger railings on balcony/window
- install door alarms on balcony door, so you'll know when it's opened or not locked
- building management should review building-safety and and identify any possible hazards, then put warning signs
i am a mother of 3 boys, so i know that it is difficult to keep an eye on our children ALL THE TIME. from long ago we as a family made it a point to close the bathroom doors and kitchen door everytime leaving these rooms. these two places are open to so many possibilities of dangers for my baby kazim. kahfi my 3 year old also has accustomed to this rule and alhamdulillah follows it.
from the moment they play near windows, deter them harshly from the beginning; so that a window or its surrounding will NOT be an area where they will play. living in the harsh weather of dubai, i keep the windows closed all the time, really.
safety awareness campaign with parents, and educate children on safety - we must be proactive as parents!
lebih kurang macam ni la window aku, tapi aku ade balcony sempit tu around my windows. kalau tingkat yang tinggi-tinggi, takde balcony kat window macam gamba bawah ni
absolutely no grill, no small balcony under window, no metal railing to hold on to
even so, with all the precautionary measures we may take to ensure safety of our children, there are risks of fire, theft, car accidents, kidnapping...the list is endless. we are only human, so from Allah we seek protection and care. may Allah protect our families from harm. amin.
to read the news in full, click here.